Thursday, August 19, 2010

I left Seattle on Sunday Aug 8th and flew to Denver for three days of orientation and training. On Wednesday approximately 80 of us flew to L.A. and then took a 13 hour overnight flight to New Zealand. We changed planes and then flew to Christchurch where the Unites States Antarctica program is headquartered. We spent three days in Christchurch and on Monday Aug 16 we boarded a C-17 for a 5hour flight to Antarctica . We landed in total darkness at 6 in the evening. Currently we are experiencing about 5 to 6 hours of twilight with a actual sunrise taking place within the next week Daylight will increase to 12 hours by late September and24 hours by late October.
The weather here is cold and windy , 15 to 35 below zero and an average wind of 8 to 15 mph. However the extreme weather gear we have been issued is very toasty and I have ventured out for 20 to 30 minutes on three occasions. I'll post more photos and another bit of info next week Love to all.
.

11 comments:

  1. It is great to hear from you Dick. We missed you so much here and glad you are having fun. Looking forward to see some photos.

    Ameneh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dick! I never thought about the sun being on the other side. Thank goodness east and west are still where they belong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie, so glad to know that you are there safe and sound. It does not sound as cold as I thought it would be . . . I say that as I sit here, thankful that we have AC as it is 90+ degrees outside :-)HA HA!

    How is your work schedule? Are they being nice to Gramps? Take care of yourself dearest.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Freezer Boy!!
    Barbie's house is empty w/o you!! This week I was in Sea Town for medical stuff... not so much fun. But I feel better than before I got here.
    Am looking into Test engineer jobs locally.
    Take it easy, I have you snail mail APO address and a book to send on it's way soon after my return to Alaska.
    Hugs, EJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dick,
    Combine the weiner with the freezer to create a tasty frozen treat. Top it with hot mustard, saerkraut, and pickled onions. Maybe for a dessert version, dollop with some hot fudge.
    Love ya, oh by the way we plan to invite Jill for dinner.
    Love ya, Steve and Anya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dick,

    I have been waaaay too out of touch! What are you doing on the other side of the world? It does sound like a fun thing to do!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. DICK DICK!
    I'm so HAPPY to hear that you have arrived in Antarctica! =DDDDD

    spot the penguins?

    wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uncle Dick

    Did you have fun there? Thanks for your card.
    We had a great time in Korea, but it was humid hot opposite of the Antarctic. I hope you have a good time and stay warm there!!!

    Alex and Andy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Dick!!

    Glad to hear you made it to the Antarctic safe.. Keep the news coming.. I love to travel through my friends.. Val

    PS.. sold my condo and moved to the W. Seattle Duplex.. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Dick,

    Glad to hear that you are at Antarctica now! -15 to -30 degree Celcius is not that bad compared to what you have experienced ( -40 degree Celcius). Do have fun!!

    Spot any polar bear?

    love,
    joanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday - a little late. Better you than me with the cold - we are going to get it soon enough. Post the site that we can go to so we can see where you are at. It will be interesting to watch the changes with the length of the days. And we can schedule a time where you can go outside and wave at all of us!!!!

    Keep in touch
    miss you and love you
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete